The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's Own)
|The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's Own)|
|Role||To close with and destroy the enemy|
|Part of||32 Canadian Brigade Group|
|Garrison/HQ||Captain Bellenden Seymour Hutcheson VC Armoury, Toronto|
|March||Quick: "Blue Bonnets over the Border"|
|Anniversaries||Regimental birthday (as The Toronto Scottish Regiment) 1 September 1921|
|Colonel-in-chief||Charles, Prince of Wales|
|Commanding officer||Lieutenant Colonel Graham Walsh, CD|
|Regimental sergeant major||Chief Warrant Officer Maggie Stawarz, CD|
The 75th (Mississauga) Battalion, the predecessor to The Toronto Scottish Regiment was raised on July 1, 1915, by Lieutenant-Colonel Samuel Beckett. Within three weeks more than 1,500 personnel had been recruited. By March 1916 the battalion was fully trained and sailed for Liverpool. Over 5,500 soldiers served in the battalion during the First World War, of whom 1,049 were killed, including Lieutenant-Colonel Beckett. The 75th Battalion CEF was awarded 16 battle honours, and Captain Bellenden Hutcheson, the medical officer, was awarded the Victoria Cross. In 1921 the regiment was renamed The Toronto Scottish Regiment by the commanding officer of the day, Lieutenant-Colonel Colin Harbottle, CMG, DSO, VD.
During the Second World War, the regiment mobilized a machine gun battalion for the 1st Canadian Infantry Division. Following a reorganization early in 1940, the battalion was reassigned to the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division, where it operated as a support battalion, providing machine-gun detachments for the Operation Jubilee force at Dieppe in 1942, and then with an additional company of mortars, it operated in support of the rifle battalions of the 2nd Division in northwest Europe from July 1944 to VE Day. In April 1940, the 1st Battalion also mounted the King's Guard at Buckingham Palace. The 2nd Battalion served in the reserve army in Canada.
In 2000, the regiment added a secondary title in recognition of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's long association as colonel-in-chief. She had held the position since 1938. The regiment was now referred to as "The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's Own)." The regiment was part of the escort at the funeral of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in April 2002. The regimental tartan is Hodden Grey.
On September 12, 2009, the regimental headquarters, A Company and Administration Company moved to the Captain Bellenden Seymour Hutcheson VC Armoury, which is shared with the Toronto Police Service. The armoury is a green building, earning a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEEDS) silver rating. On May 8, 2012, 75th Company moved from its previous location in Mississauga to a new shared government facility, The Garry W. Morden Centre, with the City of Mississauga Emergency Training Services.
- Originated in Toronto, 1 May 1920 as The Mississauga Regiment
- Redesignated 1 September 1921 as The Toronto Scottish Regiment
- Amalgamated 15 December 1936 with "B" and "C" Companies of the 1st Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC and redesignated as The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Machine Gun)
- Redesignated 7 November 1940 as the 2nd Battalion, The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Machine Gun)
- Redesignated 19 June 1947 as The Toronto Scottish Regiment
- Redesignated 19 October 2000 as The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's Own)
The Great War
The Great War
The 75th Battalion (Mississauga), CEF was authorized on 1 July 1915 and embarked for Great Britain on 29 March 1916. It disembarked in France on 12 August 1916. There it fought as part of the 11th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war. The battalion disbanded on 15 September 1920.
The 84th Battalion, CEF was authorized on 10 July 1915 and embarked for Great Britain on 18 June 1916. There, on 30 June 1916, its personnel were absorbed by the 73rd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada), CEF, 75th Battalion (Mississauga), CEF and other units of the 4th Canadian Division, to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field. The battalion disbanded on 11 April 1918.
The Second World War
The regiment mobilized as The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Machine Gun), CASF for active service on 1 September 1939. It was redesignated as the 1st Battalion, The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Machine Gun), CASF on 7 November 1940; as the 2nd Infantry Division Support Battalion (The Toronto Scottish Regiment), CIC, CASF on 1 May 1943; and as the 1st Battalion, The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Machine Gun), CIC, CASF on 24 February 1944. On 7 December 1939, it embarked for Great Britain. The battalion took part in OPERATION JUBILEE, the raid on Dieppe, on 19 August 1942. It landed again in France on 6 and 7 July 1944, as part of the 2nd Infantry Division. The battalion continued to fight in North-West Europe until the end of the war. The overseas battalion disbanded on 31 December 1945.
The regiment contributed an aggregate of more than 20% of its authorized strength to the various Task Forces which served in Afghanistan between 2002 and 2014.
Battle honours in small capitals are for large operations and campaigns and those in lowercase are for more specific battles. Bold type indicates honours authorized to be emblazoned on regimental colours.
- First World War
- Somme, 1916
- Ancre Heights
- Ancre, 1916
- Arras, 1917, '18
- Vimy, 1917
- Hill 70
- Ypres, 1917
- Scarpe, 1918
- Hindenburg Line
- Canal du Nord
- France and Flanders, 1916–18
- Second World War
- Bourguébus Ridge
- St. André-sur-Orne
- Verrières Ridge–Tilly-la-Campagne
- Falaise Road
- Clair Tizon
- Dunkirk, 1944
- Antwerp–Turnhout Canal
- The Scheldt
- South Beveland
- The Rhineland
- The Reichswald
- Goch–Calcar Road
- The Hochwald
- Twente Canal
- North-West Europe, 1942, 1944–1945
- South-West Asia
On 26 October 2015 the Afghanistan battle honour was presented to the regiment and added to the regimental colour by Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex.
Toronto Scottish Regiment Museum
The regiment's museum was formerly located at the Fort York Armoury in Toronto. The museum was opened in 1984 by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. In September 2009, the museum was relocated to the Captain Bellenden Seymore Hutcheson VC Armoury in Etobicoke and officially re-opened on 1 May 2010. The museum includes uniforms, weapons, artifacts and military memorabilia. The museum is open by appointment and during regimental events.
- "Carry on." The History of the Toronto Scottish Regiment (M.G.) 1939-1945 by Major D. W. Grant (1949)
- "Toronto's Fighting 75th in the Great War 1915 - 1919," by Regimental Historian Timothy J. Stewart (2017)
Notes and references
- Canadian Forces Publication A-DH-267-003 Insignia and Lineages of the Canadian Forces. Volume 3: Combat Arms Regiments.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-12. Retrieved 2014-05-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "South-West Asia Theatre Honours". Office of the Prime Minister of Canada. Archived from the original on 12 May 2014. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Official website
- The Toronto Scottish Regiment Website
- The Toronto Scottish Regiment Pipes and Drums - The Toronto Scottish Regiment Pipes and Drums
Order of precedence
The Irish Regiment of Canada
|The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's Own)||Succeeded by|
Royal Newfoundland Regiment